Saturday, February 9, 2013

Operation Make Mama Smile - So it Begins!

This started about five days ago. My mum absolutely loves Bobby Orr - he is her FAVORITE hockey player. A while back, I'd placed a bid on a picture of Bobby Orr for her. Five days ago, I got a call saying I'd placed the winning bid. My mum cried with happiness. The next day, she made a random comment that I didn't have to do it just once, I could make her that happy every day. So, the next day, I brought her a framed, blue-winged butterfly. She hung it on the wall with a smile on her face. Later, she said to me, "You may be starting a precedent you can't keep up with."

Challenge accepted.

Day 1: The phone call that started it all:


 
Day 2: The butterfly. 


Day 3: I run an after school program at my Library. With Valentine's Day coming up, I had the kids make Valentine Flowers for their parents. I made one for my Mum. The text says, "Love you, Momer".


Day 4: My co-workers have totally got on board with this project, and have given me some interesting ideas for things to do to make my Mum smile. One coworker suggested I make hearts out of snow. I melted the snow in my hands, formed the hearts, and then sprayed them with food coloring and water to make them red. She loved them.


Day 5: I brought her a hardcover copy of "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone", inscribed: "To my Mum, for giving my the greatest gift of all: words. I love you."
Between Grade 1 and Grade 3, I'd stopped reading altogether. I had no interest in it. I was a very wild child. My Mum's physiotherapist let her borrow the 1st Harry Potter book, and she started reading it to me, always leaving off on a cliffhanger, so I'd be desperate for more.
She gave me my love of reading.



... Tomorrow's gift is made, and ready to go! Stay tuned for more!

2 comments:

  1. Welcome back! I've missed your writing (I'll admit...I'm the stalker who comes here once or twice a month to see if you're back to writing). Hope to see you back on ff.net soon.

    Catch you on the flip side
    ~Cyth

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so terrible! At least twice a week I tell myself I'm going to sit down and write some fanfic (preferably some of my in-progress ones in Roobie Blue or True Blood), but I'm so effing busy with work. Hopefully things will mellow out soon! I'm glad I still have some devoted readers!

    ReplyDelete